To serve you better, we've assembled a list of our residents' most frequently asked questions. If you don't find your answer here, feel free to contact us.

Frequently Asked Questions


How long does it take to get a library card?

The same day!!!  Stop in and see any of the local library staff and they will get you all set up with a new card.


Does the Library have programs?

Mackinaw District Library does offer "story time" for younger children year round and they have an awesome summer program!  Click on the link or stop in and see what is happening at the library.  Periodically they have activities for teens and adults.  

Village Officials

What are the business hours for Village Hall?

Village Hall is open from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. daily.  We are closed during the lunch hour 12:00 -1:00 p.m.

Is Village Hall open on Saturdays?

We are not open on Saturdays.  There is a payment drop box on the front of the building that can be used to make after hours payments or to drop of documents.

Can I drop off Mackinaw Township Recreation Forms to Village Hall?

Yes!  If you do not choose to use the online link, you may sign your child up or drop forms off for Mackinaw Township Recreation sports.  You may also use the payment drop box on the front of the building after hours.

Zoning and Building Permits

What is the process for getting a building permit?

To begin the process, you must fill out the building permit application and submit it to Village Hall.  After that the Zoning Officer will contact you about the next steps for completing your project. Building permits are required for any modifications that change the footprint of the structure. 

What are the required setbacks for a residential property?

25' from the front lot line

25' from rear lot line 

10' from side lot line

When a lot is located at the intersection of two or more streets, there shall be a front yard on each street side of the lot

Do I need a permit for new pavement?

A pavement permit is required for all construct, reconstruct, or resurface (exclusive of sealcoating) any asphalt, concrete, or similar pavement type surface of any lot within the Village. There is no fee for a pavement permit

Does the Village of Mackinaw issue building permits to Heritage Lake?

Heritage Lake residents must contact Tazewell County for building permits. The Village of Mackinaw does not issue building or pavement permits for Heritage Lake.

Heritage Lake new home construction is required to fill out a water connection application and pay all applicable fees. 

What are required setbacks for commercial properties?

0' from the front lot line (unless fuel storage is in front then the setback is 10')

20' from the rear lot line

0' from the side lot line 

What are fence height requirements?

4' maximum height from front property line and side property lines to setback of the house. 

8" maximum height from setback of the house for side property line and rear property line 

What size can and accessory structure be?

1,200 square feet maximum size or 8% of the lot area, whichever is less, but not to exceed the maximum 30% lot coverage of all structures

For lots of one and one-half (1-1/2) acres or more the following is allowed: 

3,600 square feet maximum or 3% of the lot area, whichever is less, but not to exceed maximum 30% lot coverage of all structures 

What are the height requirements for a principal structure?

No main or principal structure shall exceed 35 feet in height, except that multi-family dwellings shall be permitted to a height of 6 stories

No detached accessory structure shall exceed 25 feet in height or exceed the height of an existing principal structure on the property

Can I have a pole building in the village?

Pole buildings are only allowed to be constructed on lots containing at least 1.5 acres or more and only after the principle structure has been constructed

What are required setbacks for industrial properties?

0' lot line for front, rear and sides 

A buffer strip is required if the location abuts or adjoins any other zoning district, a buffer strip of not less than 40 feet in width shall be provided


Which home improvements do NOT need a permit for?


Siding or gutters

Window or door installation

Interior remodeling 

Above ground swimming pools 

Swing sets or jungle gyms


Mail boxes (You must contact the Post Master for mail box requirements) 

How do I connect to the water and/or sewer system?

Connection applications for Residential Only are available to print out or complete online

Connection applications for Commercial or Industrial must be filled out at the Village office 

Can I build a Lean-To?

Per Ordinance 959 lean-to's are strictly prohibited in the Village of Mackinaw 

Can I have a carport?

Per Ordinance 982 no carport may be erected in any residential district on any lot within the village limits. 

Parks & Recreation

Can the park pavilions be reserved?

Yes!  You are welcome to reserve the pavilions in any of our parks.  Simply call Village Hall and let us know or to check to see if it's available.  Please note that while you can reserve a pavilion for your special occasion, the pavilions are in a public park, and anyone is welcome to be in the park during park hours.  If you are reserving Veterans Park, there is an option to pay a refundable deposit of $20.00 and obtain a key for the restrooms and the Community Room in Village Hall.

Water Utilities

How could I have used this much water?

You could possibly have a leaky toilet or faucet that's difficult to detect. Have you been watering your flowers?  Have you filled a pool or had kids playing in the sprinkler?  Have you had house guests?  These are possible explanations for a higher than average water bill.  If you have any questions about your water usage, feel free to call Village Hall and we will gladly help you figure it out!

My bill is past due can I get an extension?

Please contact our office to explain any extenuating circumstances.

What do I do if I am experiencing low pressure?

Check your meter and the surrounding area for possible leaks. Next, call our office and report low pressure for your area.

Why do I have a previous balance when I know I sent in my payment?

We may have received it after the due date or we may not have received it at all. Call our office and we will help you solve the problem.

New Resident Resources

How do I sign up to receive Alerts and News & Notices?

Simply click the "Sign Up for Alerts" button located ……fill out the brief form with your preferred contact information and click submit

Can I install a mailbox on my property?

Please contact the Mackinaw Post Office for rules on installing a mailbox on your property.