Backyard Hen Permit

Per Mackinaw Village Ordinance, residents may apply for a permit to keep and raise backyard hens given certain requirements are met. For a list of these requirements, please see the Backyard Hen Section of the Village Code below in documents.

The Mackinaw Police Department is responsible for inspecting residences and structures and issuing Backyard Hen Permits. Please understand that we are not responsible for any misinterpretation of the Village Code, and that if you construct a coop and fence we will not issue you a permit if you have not met ALL of the requirements. Please also understand that we will not issue permits at any residences which are currently in violation of one or more Village Ordinance Statutes.  If you reside in a rental property, you will need to obtain your landlord's permission in order to keep and raise backyard hens at the property. The Village of Mackinaw, Chief of Police, or any other designee of the Village reserves the right to deny any application to keep and raise backyard hens for any reason.

If you would like to apply for a permit to keep and raise backyard hens, please review the ordinance thoroughly. If you have questions or need clarification, please contact the Police Department. We would be happy to come to your residence, inspect the land for the listed requirements and answer any questions you may have. Once you are ready to apply for the permit, you will need to set up an appointment for the Police Department to inspect for all requirements.  A yearly $25.00 fee will be required before a permit will be issues and can be paid at either Village Hall or the Police Department. 


Backyard Hens